Monday, February 22, 2010

SEND YOUR EGO ON VACATION!

Okay, I'm late getting my blog on today. I've been working on editing, a chore, an unrelenting adventure, all starting at Chapter One AGAIN! But, it's all part of the process of writing. What I love most about editing is seeing the progress of the written story. On the other hand, it's aggravating to find mistakes that didn't pop out at me last time I went through this manuscript. ALL PART OF THE PROCESS, including all the second-guessing (ego.)I have to remind myself, TELL THE STORY, the rest will take care of itself. Sometimes you just have to tell the ego to take a vacation; otherwise, it just keeps getting under your feet. Trust that third-eye observation!

3 comments:

  1. Boy is that true, Sher, about sending the ego on vacation. A great way to put it. I'm giving my "editor" a vacation too. She keeps getting in the way of my story. Off here now to get back to it. Keep keepin on. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry and Barb, do either of you participate in NaNoWriMo? Writing a novel in a month isn't for everyone, but you just summed up the reason I like it. There's no time for ego or for your inner editor, either! There's only time to get words on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, no I don't participate in NaNoWrMo. Sounds interesting. I'll check it. Yep, I think ego is a double-edged sword. On one hand we need it to validate our thought - on the other hand, it can cripple our creativity, because if we give it any power, it always wants to be in charge.

    ReplyDelete