Sunday, May 2, 2010

REJUVENATION, ETC. - OR I'LL TAKE MINE WITH CREAM

It's raining. We needed this "soaker." Looking forward to putting out the annuals and rejuvenating the flower beds. Rejuventation. That's my magic word today. Webster New World Dictionary defines the word rejuvenate: to make young or youthful again; bring back to youthful strength, appearance, etc. Well, considering I'm a little past youth, I think I land in the etc. part of this definition. Nonetheless, spring does bring a sense of youthfulness. I remember a time when I thought growing old would be a long time off, that all the older people would always stay old, and I would always stay young. Do you remember the old movie It's a Wonderful Life, where the old man sitting on a porch swing tells Donna Reed and Jimmy Stewart that life is wasted on youth? Or, like Benjamin Button, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to live our lives in reverse, that way we might appreciate our youth, maybe even bring a halt to all the bickering in the world and make us more respectful of how beautiful it is to be young. But, one the other hand, it's nice being my age and spending a quiet Sunday morning rocking on the back porch, rejuventating my tired bones while listening to the rain, drinking a cup of coffee and enjoying the moment. You see, I'm fussy about my coffee. I like it medium strength in my favorite mug with a little cream. No sugar. You see, as a person gets older, rejuvenation takes place more on the inside than the outside. As I said before, I fall more into the etc. part of Webster's definition.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Rejuvenation starts on the inside but to go further I think when we work on the inside and are happier it gives us decreased lines in our faces and we get a glow.
    I know when I've spent the day taking care of myself, inside and out, it shows on the outside.
    And it seems the older we get the more work it requires. I used to take a make up bag when I traveled. Now I carry a u haul behind the car.
    Thanks for this insight into our aging. Love ya. Can just see you on the porch - wish I was there too.

    ReplyDelete